Our Life and Times

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Total Eclipse

We have been debating the exact meaning of the song "Total Eclipse of the Heart". And by that I mean, I keep talking about it and Dave listens.

It's pretty clearly a break up song, with the singer begging someone to come back. But there are much deeper and more complicated issues still unresolved. What is the eclipse? Who are the players? Whose fault is it?

My main theory is that Bonnie Tyler is the Earth and the ex is the sun. In this case, something (the moon) has come between them, their hearts are unable to connect and everything goes dark. The Earth is no longer basking in the brightness of the sun. This theory is supported by the line "Once upon a time there was light in my life/ But now there's only love in the dark" and by repeated requests to "turn around."

However, "Your love is like a shadow on me all of the time" would imply that in fact the love itself is the darkness that can't be shaken... ideas, anyone?

This kinda reminds me of 11th grade English, actually, when we had to explicate John Donne poems by drawing what we thought the central metaphor was. I really remember a pencil drawing of a compass rotating on a man. No idea what that was about.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hhm- I always thought that this song was indeed about a break-up but that the relationship started out really good and ended VERY VERY badly. "Once upon a time there was light in my life, now there's only love in the dark" says to me that the relationship has degraded to something emotionless and sad. And the eclipse part is about the change in her heart that she is feeling- all of the sudden she realizes that she's not in love anymore- hence the darkness.

BUT- the line "I need you more tonight! And I need you more than ever! etc. etc." gives hope that maybe they haven't actually broken up yet- but she really wants to work on it. :)

Also- this is one of th best kareoke songs. Hennes and I can really do it to it. Hahaha

xoemily

9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home